5-METHYLRESORCINOL and its ACTIVITY
5-methylresorcinol itself as most of nature-derived alkylresorcinols is active compound in plant protection mechanisms. It is used to produce several different antifungal and antibacterial compounds in living plants. Following is a list of abstracts describing 5-methylresorcinol bioactivity.
- - Korean scientists extracted from Umbilicaria esculenta 5-MR and p-orsellinic acid as Phospholipase A2 inhibitors in the course of screening for anti-inflammatory compounds. Published 1996.
- - Alkylresorcinols, including 5-methylresorcinol effect Cu(II)-dependent DNA strand scission (University of Virginia, 1995).
- - The fruits of Semecarpus anacardium are claimed to be useful in treating leprosy, rheumatoid arthritis, piles, asthma, cough, syphilis, gonorrhea. One of the active compounds separated is orcinol 1-gentiobioside.
- - Antimicrobial chlorinated orcinol derivatives are found in mycelia of Hericium Erinaceum (Japan, 1993), from bulbus of Lilium lancifolium (Japan, 1987) and from eatable lily bulbs of Lilium maximowiczii (Japan, 1998) – in all of these foundings chlorinated orcinol is derived to protect plants from attack of funguses. In last case chloroorcinol is acting against fungal pathogen Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. Lilii – economically important plant pathogen causing basal and bulb rot in lilies.
- - Pulvinatal, a novel bioactive metabolite was isolated from basidiomycete Nidularia pulvinata as an inducer of differentiation of HL-60 promyelocytic leukemia cells (Germany, 1997).
- - Methyl Haemathommate, anti-fungal – antidermatophyte agent was isolated from Stereocaulon Ramulosum (New Zealand, 1990).
- - Orcinol monomethyl ether is found in Verticicladella species, its and other alkylresorcinols and their monomethyl ethers and rhamnoside are found to be antibacterial agents.
- - Orcinol monomethyl ether also inhibits growth of pine seedlings (University of Alberta, 1983).
- - 5-methyl-7-methoxy-isoflavone is found to be not estrogenic and is not steroid anabolic used as anabolic for athletes and as feed additive.
- - Striatol, isolated from Aboriginal medical plant Grevillea genus has been used for wound healing. Striatol was found to be plasma membrane Ca2+ -ATPase (PMCA) inhibitor.
- - Striatol exhibited in vitro assay antioxydant activity equipotent to vitamin E in prevention of lipid peroxidation.
- - Sakakin, orcinol glycoside, 3-hydroxy-5-B-D-glucopyranosidoxy-toluene was found in Cleyera ochnaceae and synthesized from orcinol (Japan, 1967).
- - Naturally occurring dibenzofurans, Schizopeltic acid can be synthesized from 3,5-dimethoxytoluene (Sargent, 1982).
- - 4-chloro-5-methylresorcinol is patented as insecticide Etofenprox effect enchancer (JP7330513, Mitsui Toatsu, 1995).
- - 3,5-diamino-2,4,6-trinitrotoluene can be synthesized from orcinol in three steps.
- - Russian pharmaceutical, Riodoksol is tri-iodo-resorcinol having antiviral effect on herpes simplex virus. It is very obvious that tri-iodo-orcinol has same potency and potentially with less toxicity to humans.
- - 2,2-dimethylchroman’s can be produced from orcinol – treatment of asthma (Elf Sanofi, 1993), antidepressants (Beecham group, 1977), 5-HT3 antagonists (Ely Lilly, 1995).
- - Ascofuranone and Collectochlorine D were synthesized from orcinol (1982).